Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Remembering Nana

One year ago today my sweet Nana went to be with Jesus. 


Nana was a sweet southern lady. She loved the Lord, and she loved all of her family and friends. And we all love her too! Nana was the type of person who would do anything for you. She made lunch to feed an army every Sunday after church and made us all whatever kind of cake we wanted for each of our birthdays. She gave long hugs and she was always there to listen and would let you cry on her shoulder. 


I remember one time when I was coming home from the grocery store a car almost hit me head on because the driver wasn't paying attention. Needless to say, it scared me to death. I was shaking the rest of the way home. When I got to the house Nana was the only one home. I ran down the stairs and told her what happened. She hugged me and let me cry and get it all out! 


What really disappointed me was that Nana passed away before our wedding. I would have loved for her and Papa to be there. We incorporated their memories by reading some letters Papa wrote to Nana early in their marriage and putting butterflies in the bridesmaid bouquets.


Nana LOVED butterflies
Nana loved butterflies. She had tons of butterfly broaches. She wore one every Sunday to church and every time she got dressed up. Many of them were gifts from her family and friends (Charles and I included!) At her funeral, each family member and friend who was as close as family wore one of her butterfly broaches in her memory, even the boys! It was awesome.


Nana lived a beautiful life. She was beautiful inside and out. She had the love of a wonderful husband, family, and friends. And most importantly she lived her life for God and did her best to show everyone around her God's unconditional love. She was ready to go and be with her Lord and with Papa. Knowing that I will see her and Papa again in Heaven gives me such peace. 


I remember listening to "Desert Song" by Hillsong United on the way to her funeral. Here is the verse that helped me through such a difficult time:


"All of my life, in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship"

I am so blessed by God to have had my Nana in my life for 23 years! She taught me so much about life, love, and God. I am so grateful for her incredible example of a Godly woman, wife, and mother. I miss her so much, and look forward to the day we are reunited. 

It gives me such peace knowing that no matter the circumstances, grief or trials, God is in control and His love and salvation are ALWAYS a reason to sing and worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment