Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dinner Time

Last night Jason decided he was craving chicken and dumplings, so I told him we could have them for dinner tonight. I found a recipe that I wanted to try and had to get a few of the ingredients from the store. I got this recipe from the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. We are trying to eat healthy, so I thought this would be a good recipe to try. It was easy and tasted really good. Jason liked it too, but it wasn't how his mom does it. 

Anyway, the ingredients are
  1. 3 celery ribs, chopped
  2. 1 cup carrots, sliced
  3. 3 14.5 ounce cans of reduced sodium chicken broth
  4. 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  5. 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  6. 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
  7. 1 & 2/3 cup of biscuit mix
  8. 2/3 cup of milk
I seasoned the chicken before I cooked it, so I didn't use any poultry seasoning. I cooked the chicken while I prepared the carrots and the celery. 

Celery ribs, chopped



Sliced carrots



After getting the vegetables cut up, spray a dutch oven with cooking spray and saute the celery and carrots for 5 minutes. Then stir in the broth and pepper (and poultry seasoning if you use it). 


Bring the mixture to a boil. While I waited on the broth to boil, I cut up my chicken.


After the broth boils, reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the chicken . 


To make the dumplings, mix the biscuit mix (I used Bisquick) and the milk.



Then drop tablespoonfuls of the biscuit mix  into the broth. Cover and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the dumplings are done.



Finished product!



Then for dessert we had vanilla frozen yogurt with peaches from Jaemor Farms! It was a yummy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment