Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today is a special day. It is my Papa's birthday. If he was still alive, he would have been 86 today. I would love to celebrate with him, but he is celebrating with Jesus today and everyday! Charles and I spent every summer with our grandparents, and we had lunch at their house every single Sunday after church until we went to college. They also lived in our basement for probably 7 or 8 years. I still miss them very much. There are so many times I want to give them a hug or ask their advice. What I truly hate the most is that neither of them will get to be there on May 21st for the wedding. 

There are a couple things I am so very grateful to my Nana and Papa for:
1. Their example of true love- They were married almost 63 years when Papa passed away.
2. Their example of Godly living- They both trusted God so much and were so in tune to Him and His will.
3. Their example of service- Nana and Papa were constantly giving to others whether it was love, time, money, etc.

This week I have been reading the book of James. 

James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." 
Nana and Papa lived this verse out daily. I pray that I can be better out not just reading the Bible, but really applying it to my life.
James 2:8 "If you really keep the royal law found in scripture, 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' you are doing right."
I think Nana and Papa represent this verse well. They constantly loved on others and put them above themselves. This is another thing I want to work on. I pray that I can begin to really love others as myself and serve others.

Happy Birthday Papa! I love and miss you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment